For the past three days, I’ve been trying to fix several Perflib errors that were appearing in my Event Viewer. The errors cycled through like this:
The Open Procedure for service “BITS” in DLL “C:\Windows\System32\bitsperf.dll” failed
The Open Procedure for service “ESENT” in DLL “C:\Windows\system32\esentprf.dll” failed
The Open Procedure for service “Lsa” in DLL “C:\Windows\System32\Secur32.dll” failed
The Open Procedure for service “MSDTC” in DLL “C:\Windows\system32\msdtcuiu.DLL” failed
They all had Event ID 1008 and Perflib as source. The only difference was it’s service- and DLL name.
Apart from these errors appearing in my Event Viewer, I didn’t notice anything strange with my computer; Everything was working like it should, so I had no idea what this could be causing and what (according to Windows) wasn’t working like it should. After a quick Google search, I found out that the error itself isn’t a big deal; It’s just saying it can’t collect performance data.
That was the easy part. Getting red of the errors is a whole different story. These errors got me technically stumped, as I’ve tried virtually every solution you can find on the web to no avail:
– I ran a virus scan as well as a malware scan, without success.
– I ran a chkdsk, without success.
– I ran sfc /scannow, without success.
– I ran lodctr /r, without success.
– I ran Microsoft’s SystemFileChecker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files, without success.
– I removed and reinstalled the BITS, ESENT, LSA and MSDTC service without success.
This was driving me nuts. Since the error itself wasn’t really a big deal, I decided to disable the performance counters for the services that Windows was unable to collect performance data for. This can be achieved by using Extensible Counter List which can be downloaded here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/win2000platform/exctrlst/1.00.0.1/nt5/en-us/exctrlst_setup.exe
After downloading and installing Extensible Counter List, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Resource Kit and run Exctrlst.exe as Administrator.
Next, find the service(s) in the list that Windows reports it is unable to collect performance data for and uncheck ‘Performance Counters Enabled’ for each service.
Although this doesn’t solve the initial problem why the errors are occurring, at least it helps you to get rid of them from Event Viewer (a.k.a. symptom treatment)…. But since the errors themselves aren’t a big deal, you should be fine.